Kyoto Part 2

The next morning we decied to have an artsy day. We started with theatre followed by a museum and shopping! I guess this is how I look while hailing a cab. 


We went to this bizarre Noh theatre performance. So strange that we left after the first 30 minutes. That's not normally my style, so trust me, it was bad.


The museum was just a short walk from the theatre.



We made our way to the National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto (MoMak). Mom had the camera most of the day.


Some of the exhibits allowed you to take photos. Some of the pieces were very abstract to say the least.
















Just in case, always good to know where this is.

Cool stuff at the gift shop. We loaded up on all sorts of goodies.

Dogwoods in bloom. I was told on this trip that Americans gave the Japanese the Dogwoods and the Japanese gave us Azelia's and Cherry Tress.


Off to shop!



The food market in the basement was amazing! Like Wholefoods on steroids.

Little cutie!




These were the tiny tomatoes we saw at the restaurant the night before. They were the cutest! Someone may have smuggled these back to the US to attempt to seed. Not naming any names here...














No idea what these were but he just kept adding more and more toppings.




More shopping in the nearby markets.


We found this cute vintage shop. Loved the decor.







I made some purchases






Quick stop for lunch.

Loved the name of this salon.

A quick break back the hotel before dinner. I guess I took a pic of the socks they give you. They had these all over the market too.  

I also took a quick photo of the phone. Too funny.

Dinner at Botchi. We found this place the previous night while we were lost searching for Haru. We learned that Botchi is the nickname of the chef and owner of this place. He told us it means "bad boy and a little crazy". I loved this guy and his food. I want to go back tomorrow! I feel like this a place you could see on one of Anthony Bourdain's show. Tucked away, nothing fancy, but seriously good food.

Botchi and his wifey. 

I even loved the volcano chopsticks holder

I promised to bring Matt a beer glass home. I asked them if we could buy it from them but they wouldn't let me give them any money. They then went the extra mile and bubble wrapped it for me to put in my suitcase. We tried to tip them that night and they gave the money back! NOTE: Tipping isn't really accepted in Japan.



Believe it or not, this was potatoe salad. I am not joking, this is the best potato salad I have ever had in my life!

Botchi was a big jazz guy so we had all this great music to listen to while we ate. 





BOTCHI
I can't find anything in English for this restaurant so I have taken a photo of their business card. If you are in the area, get your hotel to point you in the right direction. It is soooo good!!!!!


MOMAK
The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto
Okazaki Enshoji-cho
Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8344
www.momak.go.jp


Comments

Popular Posts