Shabu-shabu girls dinner

Shabu-shabu is a Japanese variant of hot pot. It is cook-it-yourself-style with your own hot pot to cook up veggies and thinly sliced meat. The name Shabu Shabu is derived from the "swish" sound of cooking the meat in the pot. Shabu-shabu directly translates to "swish-swish". It is considered a winter dish but is eaten year-round.


We had a girls dinner at Katte Shabushabu. The restaurant was sort of a "U" shape so we took up both sides.



And this one random couple that sat between us

Gotta have local Hitachino Nest Beer-love this stuff!


It is usually served with tofu and vegetables, including shiitake mushrooms and enokitake mushrooms as seen here. I didn't even know I liked these enokitake mushrooms but I couldn't get enough!

There were a few options for broth flavors, but I went with the traditional sukiyaki. I just dunked all my food in and let it cook but technically you are supposed to swish it back and forth. Here is mine, not being swished...
For the meat, the restaurant offered beef or seafood options. I went with the sirloin, but honestly could have been happy with all veggies. It was so good!

Cooking up the meat (I cooked mine after I had cooked all the veggies, but not sure if this is the correct way or not)

The owner Kenny and our waitress. He couldn't understand why I wanted a picture of him. They were so great helping the newbies like myself figure out what to order.

Thanks to Avery for organizing. If anyone is ready to go back, take me with you!

G/F, 5 Caroline Hill Road
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
2577 2628
Also located in Wan Chai across from The Pawn

Comments

Popular Posts