A few of my favorite NY Things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

While I do love all of these things, I wanted to document a few of my favorite New York things:

Sample Sales
Ladies, if you haven't already, sign up for the Racked NY Newsletter. Yes, Daily Candy does a good job, but this site is the real deal. Great for hidden gems, designer colabs, store openings and all things sample sale!
http://ny.racked.com/



Yumi Kim
Love this designer. Her showroom is down in the Lower Eat Side and always has some back stock mark downs. Follow her on Facebook and get hooked up with weekly specials, like 25% off and free shipping. You can also find her frocks at Bloomys, Saks, boutiques, etc.
http://yumikim.com/main/



Wearing one of my favorite Yumi Kim dresses in Cape Cod

Levain Bakery
Hands down the best cookie you will ever eat in your life. NY has turned into a cupcake mecca. I say skip the cupcake and get to the UWS for a cookie experience that will change you. Note- these are definitely cookies to share as the weigh as much as a brick. Favorite flavor- chocolate with peanut butter chips (naturally). Also locations in the Hamptons and newly opened in Harlem. Online ordering available too!
http://www.levainbakery.com/




Shellac
Nail polish that stays on for 14+ days with no chipping and doesn't destroy your nails when you take it off! Seriously-this stuff is good! I should buy some stock. Great for vacations, weddings or any day that ends in "y". You will pay about $35-$40 for a manicure, but it lasts. Mine stayed on for 3 weeks- no kidding! Head to the site to look up a location near you. UWS'ers- I go to Nail(yes singular) by Young on 72nd.
http://www.cnd.com/Consumer.aspx


Russo Mozzarella & Pasta
Looking for a fresh, authentic Italian sandwich? Look no further than Russo's. They only offer about 7 different kinds, but you can't go wrong with any of them. Grab your sammy and head to Thompson Square park to eat on a bench and people watch. Lots of dog watching as well with the nearby dog park.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/russo-mozzarella-and-pasta-new-york


Doughnut Plant
While it is difficult to rival a Krispy Kreme hot one, this place is putting out some seriously amazing doughnuts. Fresh ingredients and love make doughnuts to write home about. If you are a Travel Channel junkie like me, you may have seen this place featured. Flavors like Tres Leches, Pistachio, Coconut and Creme Brulee. Flavors change seasonally, but I think the Coconut one may be my favorite. Locations in the Lower East Side and a newly opened Chelsea location. You can also find them at Dean&Deluca, Citarella and Zabars. If you make it down to the LES location, hit up the nearby Tenement museum. Great for NY'ers and out of town guests alike.
http://www.doughnutplant.com/




Street Flowers
This is the only favorite thing on this list that I know for certain will be upgraded in Hong Kong. NY Street flowers are great, affordable flowers that are available on every corner. In HK, they are even cheaper and more abundant. Their flower district is AWESOME. I will be taking all my HK visitors there. Potted Orchids for $6 USD? Dozen roses for under $4 USD? Yes please! This could be bad!

NY Street Flowers around the UWS



HK Flower Market from our 2008 trip





Hopefully my Hong Kong favorite things will be established soon. As I pack my bags and look around New York, knowing that I will be missing her and all the people in it (even the crazy ones), I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so sad.

Comments

Popular Posts